Bridgestone Tyres

History of Bridgestone Australia 1939-1949

Company History

History of Bridgestone Australia

1939 - Mark Lodge and Harold Hill purchase a small rubber manufacturing business, located at Edwardstown in South Australia, from Kenny Charlesworth Ltd. of Melbourne and rename it S.A. Rubber Mills Pty. Ltd. The workforce is twelve.

1941/1945 - As a result of World War II entire production is converted to military manufacture. The workforce has risen to 130.

1947 - General Motors establish a plant at Woodville, South Australia, to manufacture Australia's first locally built car. S.A. Rubber Mills is a major supplier.

1948 - Australia's first production car, the Holden, is launched. S.A. Rubber Mills supplies the majority of rubber parts and mouldings.

1949 - S.A. Rubber Mills Pty. Ltd. is converted to a public company and listed on the Adelaide Stock Exchange.

 M.R.Lodge, co-founder of
S.A. Rubber Mills Pty Ltd
in 1939.
The company's first rubber
extrusion department,
Edwardstown 1940.


Copyright Bridgestone Australia Ltd. 2016