History of Bridgestone Australia
1952 - S.A. Rubber Mills Ltd. Establish a Dandenong, Victoria, plant to support the rapidly growing automotive industry.
1952 - Plastics extrusion is introduced at Edwardstown for the appliance and automotive industry.
1956 - The first Australian polyurethane foam is manufactured at Dandenong under licence to Bayer, Germany.
1956 - Dandenong, using its Urethane technology, commences manufacture of soft moulded safety parts for automobiles.
1957 - More than 1,000 are now employed.
1958 - A new plant for plastics extrusion production is constructed at the Edwardstown site.
1958 - The first moulded armrests are made at Dandenong.
1959 - The first automotive instrument panel pads are made at Dandenong.
1959 - S.A. Rubber Mills acquires Rubber Plastics Ltd., Silverwater, N.S.W. to increase its involvement in the appliance industry.
| || |
The Dandenong Plant, opened in 1952 as a
second manufacturing centre for automotive
parts, is now the centre for consumer products.
In 1959, after the first 20 years,
the Company proudly joined the
Edwardstown Plant's local council parade.